Architecture, and lost buildings

Elegant_Williams_portico.JPG architecture1x250.jpg architecture2-150x176.JPG BankersRow3.jpg

Mill_resized_cropped.jpg

The Old Mill

There has been a corn mill adjacent to the mill bridge since the 1100s; the most recent building dates from the mid 18th century. It is not known exactly when the first mill was built and the estuary dammed to form the Millbridge, but it was well established by 1199 when King John personally granted 'ownership of the mill to the Knights Templar'. The income it then engendered would have gone towards funding the Knights' activities in the Crusades.

By 1950 the shipping trade to Pembroke Quays had more or less ceased, as road transport was now cheaper and more reliable. For a short while the Mill became a large chicken shed but was finally destroyed by fire. Only the 'footprint' of the building remains today but it is hoped it will become the site of a statue of Henry VII.

00.porticoGif.GIF

The wrought iron portico

The elegant victorian wrought iron portico that stood outside numbers 18 and 20 Main Street must have been well-loved on rainy days. Anyone sheltering there would have been tempted into the popular Rees Shoe shop where Miss Rosie Batchelor was manageress. The sculptured iron pillars were hit one night by a vehicle and badly damaged, resulting in the eventual demolition of the portico.

Arch1.JPG

Slate clad houses

Until fairly recent times, many walls of houses near to the sea have traditionally been covered, or clad, with slate. This 'cladding' helped the house to shed water and protected it from the effects of weather. Today local buildings which still have their original slate cladding in place give aesthetic pleasure as well as providing valuable insulation and protection, and this attractiveness can even enhance the building's property value.

Avoiding wind and rain infiltration through the joints is a major challenge, and is met by overlapping each slate. Click here to see other examples of Pembroke slate-clad walls – mostly now lost.

Arch_5.jpg

Stained Glass windows

These beautiful stained glass windows belong to Tabernacle Chapel in Main Street, and can be seen from the front of the building. They were installed in the late 1920s and are in the art deco style. One of the windows was paid for by Mrs Elizabeth Perkins from New Zealand, who was the daughter of former Deacon Thomas Jones. Any work was welcomed at this time - the dockyard had closed in Pembroke Dock and times were very hard after the Great War.

 

Arch_3.jpg

Upper floor balconies and bay windows

Many Pembroke properties had fine balconies or first floor bay windows, and quite a few still exist today. The balconies were made of wrought iron, as were handsome railings and gates in areas like Orange Gardens and Woodbine Terrace.

Click here to see examples of other balconies.

000RB.jpg

Arch_4.JPG

Corbett Stevens - unusual gate handle

This iron door-handle is a hand holding a key containing an inscription, and can still be found on the old (and sadly now neglected) gates that once led to the workshop of Stephens Engineering works along East Back. The key is inscribed with the name A.J.C. Stephens and dated 1888. The hand of Archibald's son Corbett was used to make the cast for the handle, when Corbett was a child aged only five.